Sunday, September 13, 2009

Results of the first firing

We were offered a choice of two bone china casting slips, white or an imitation blue celedon. I opted for the blue slip that only shows its colour when glazed. I asked them to glaze only the insides on one set so that the outsides would be matt white to highlight the cut sides.


Condiment set


More condiment pieces and teapots waiting for handles. I found some long bamboo tongs in the local market and tried to steam-bend them to make handles but because they were so dry they all snapped. Bamboo is usually heated and bent while it is still wet, but that wasn't an option for me because Shandong is not a bamboo-growing area. They told me that they could have metal handles made but because we were running out of time I went back to the markets to look for another solution.


This is the market alley not far from the design studio.


After much searching I found these scrubbing brushes at a kitchen/hardware stall.


I'm not sure what the Chinese made of it but the rest of the group were very enthusiastic about my find.


A group of finished pieces, unglazed except for the insides and lids.

No comments:

Post a Comment